Update the outline as it is
Update the plot spreadsheet as it is
Need: single subject spiral bound notebook, 3 to 4 colours of pen, printed draft, Outline Notebook, maps.
- Chapter numbers
- Name of each character as that character is introduced
- Plot lines as they begin
- Events in each chapter
- Writing that needs work
- Writing that works
- Does this character have a place in this book?
- Has a character changed appearance?
- Has a character changed in other ways? If so, do I explain why?
- Are all plotlines carried through?
- Are all plotlines resolved?
- Have all conflicts been resolved
- Does this scene matter?
- Have I followed the rule of 3? (If it appears twice, it should appear three times)
Talk things out
Discuss my proposed solutions with my PRH and my lovely sister
Plan and plot
- Rewrite the outline
- Rewrite the plot spreadsheet
Now fix all the things I thought were wrong, rewriting and reorganising as needed.
ADDED: Check that every chapter ends in a way that keeps people reading, and that every chapter begins with a hook.
Edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, word choice
- Check capitalisation
- Eliminate qualifiers
- Evaluate adverbs
- Remove superfluous movement
- Tune dialogue attribution
- Check whether ‘that’ is needed
- Remove filter words
To See (See, Sees, Saw, Seeing, Seen)
To Hear (Hear, Hears, Heard, Hearing)
To Feel (Feel, Feels, Felt, Feeling)
To Look (Look, Looks, Looked, Looking)
To Know (Know, Knows, Knew, Knowing)
To Think (Think, Thinks, Thought, Thinking)
To Wonder (Wonder, Wonders, Wondered, Wondering)
To Realize (Realize, Realizes, Realized, Realizing)
To Watch (Watch, Watches, Watched, Watching)
To Notice (Notice, Notices, Noticed, Noticing)
To Seem (Seem, Seems, Seemed, Seeming)
To Decide (Decide, Decides, Decided, Deciding)
To Sound (Sound, Sounds, Sounded, Sounding)